Befitting its role as a focal point of our neighborhood association’s sphere of interest, the Round Hill Store was graced this summer with a new sign heralding its founding in 1801. Located at the corner of Round Hill and Old Mill roads, the store is believed to be the oldest continuously operated general store in the United States. As in times past, but with a new front porch in a modest renovation, the store still serves as a provisioner to the public. The RHA helped fund the sign’s installation.
The store was one of the stops this summer on a mini-bus tour sponsored by the Greenwich Historical Society to celebrate our town’s 375th anniversary. It covered an area north of the Merritt Parkway between King Street and Round Hill Road and included historic homes and churches, vestiges of our agricultural and industrial history, and former Great Estates. It was oversubscribed and plans are underway to offer the tour again this coming spring.